Monday 12 March 2018

#MessedupToStepup - Grey's Anatomy



“Maybe we have to get a little messed up before we can step up: Alex Karev, Grey's Anatomy Season 5 Episode 19”


Hello Guys!!!


To kick start my weekly write-ups, I decided to start with one of my favorite series – Grey's Anatomy (GA; a fictional US medical series on the lives of surgeons). After completing my chores on Saturday, I considered watching a movie (as NEPA no gree bring light😊), however, Scrolling through my collection of movies got tiring, so I decided to watch old seasons of GA. This is an old habit 😑 but this time I chose the fifth season and the nineteenth episode. I was thereafter influenced to write about a particular phrase that got to me. The quote “Maybe we have to get a little messed up before we can step up” is one of those that I don’t think I have personally verified if true. I am only sharing my opinion based on this episode of GA, to which the phrase was coined. I will also advise on whether I think people can step up after they have hit rock bottom – lowest place👌.


This episode of Grey's Anatomy began with Alex Karev (surgical resident) narrating and suggesting that surgeons are “messed up knife happy butchers.” Owen Hunt (trauma surgeon - retired army) was seen strangling his girlfriend (Kristina Yang – surgical resident), as a result of the Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) he suffers from being in the army. Derek Shepherd (neurosurgeon) was seen coming out of his “dark hole” by showing the engagement ring he once threw in the bush, to his girlfriend (Meredith Grey – surgical resident) and later practicing his technique to surgically remove the tumors in Izzy Steven’s (Cancer patient/surgical resident) brain. Finally, an elderly woman who was given three months to live was being revived after her heart stopped the 100th time, years later. Her family members present were furious; claiming to be ready for her death.


Towards the end of the episode, Alex realized that he had to be more responsible than he had been for Izzy, after distancing himself from her all day and not treating her right for the most part of their relationship – He stepped up👌. Kristina confessed to Owen that she was scared of him and couldn't handle being with his PTSD self. She earlier dismissed the incident in the morning telling him “I told you I know my limits, let me decide what I can handle” - She stepped up😥. Derek’s surgery on Izzy went has planned, he soon proposed to Meredith afterwards – He stepped up 😉. The old woman later died soon after she told Alex that “people are better than no people”, as her family members are all she had left and they inevitably came when she required them. Note that: her family members were in tears when she finally died – They stepped up. Alex concluded that the end of the episode that “maybe we have to get a little messed up before we can step up” and “trauma always leaves a scar, it changes our lives.” 😟 


When I think about being messed up I ruminate over my entire existence. Notwithstanding, we all have different degrees to which we have been messed up (Yours might be deeper than mine – most definitely.). The major question is “Have I stepped up from the “presumed” issues that messed me up? If no, do I think I will step up?” 


I remember failing a course in my second year undergraduate, because I had thought I didn't need to read as hard as I did for o’ level and first year (yes, I was over confident: I did well the 1st year and 2nd year - 1st semester). I ended up learning the hard way that hard work never stops. Yes, I passed after rewriting the exam a year later, but I never forgot the disappointment on everyone’s (parents and siblings) face – I stepped up. Also, for everything that I have failed at or never tried, one thing I always held on to was my education. Nevertheless, 2016-2017 threw me of my balance, and I was close to hitting rock bottom. It required something that I “perceived” as failure at the end of 2017, to reset my head (you know when your face becomes very clear after being cloudy for a while). I now understand that no one is responsible for your life, it’s JUST YOU. Not sure if I have stepped up from this, but I learnt some harsh lessons. 



When it comes to stepping up after you have been messed up, be it in your academics, relationships, work or anything that puts you down. You need to UNDERSTAND the lessons you have learnt from the process. These should reflect in your decisions thereafter. Stepping up doesn't mean totally absolving ones self from the bleakest days, but moving forward with understanding of the past to change the present. Subjectively, I think YES you can STEP UP after being MESSED UP. Nonetheless, it can’t be the only way you STEP UP!!!


Love, 

M.George 

Please like/share this page and add your personal MESSED UP TO STEP UP stories in the comment section or send me an email to post anonymously #MessedupToStepup.

No comments:

Post a Comment